Vets issue urgent warning after cat is nearly killed
from licking a Himalayan salt lamp

A vet has issued a warning for pet owners after a cat was nearly killed from licking a Himalayan salt lamp in New Zealand.

Maddie Smith noticed her cat, Ruby, was acting strangely, and assumed it was due to the cold weather.

After returning from work that evening, Ruby’s condition had deteriorated and she was unable to walk, eat or drink and was struggling to see and hear. 

Ms Smith took her to a vet who said she was suffering from brain swelling due to sodium poisoning.