Dog Died 30 Minutes After Eating Blue-Green Algae, Says Owner

A dog owner in England issued a warning to others after his dog died when it apparently consumed blue-green algae in a river.

David O’Connor, chairman of the Glen Wyvis Distillery, said his cocker spaniel, Bell, consumed algae at the River Conon, reported the Press and Journal.

“Warning to all dog owners. We lost our pup today after she ate some blue/green algae at the River Conon. The falling river and hot weather has created a danger which sadly we were not aware of. All dog owners please be aware as this is such a tragedy for Bell and our family,” he wrote on Facebook.

Elaborating to the Press and Journal, he said he grabbed his son after walking two dogs on Dunglass Island near Maryburgh and “from the river to the pup dying could not have been more than 30 minutes.”

His son, Andrew, said Bell was swimming in the same area and had her head underneath the water and possibly consumed some of the algae.

The dog got sick when it returned home, adding that “within five or 10 minutes she started being sick, but she was yelping at the same time.”

He added: “We rushed her straight to the Dingwall vets. By the time we got her to the vets we could tell that the pup was nearly a goner and there was nothing they could do.”

O’Connor, a former Chief Superintendent with the police, went back to investigate the poisoning cause.

 
 

Read More at Theepochtimes