Why is chocolate bad for dogs and what to do if your dog eats chocolate?

Why is chocolate bad for dogs?

There is a toxic ingredient in chocolate called theobromine (a bit like caffeine) which is poisonous to dogs. It’s naturally found in cacao beans. The amount of theobromine typically depends on the type of chocolate. Darker, purer varieties tend to have the highest levels but it’s also found in milk chocolate. The bottom line is dogs and chocolate don’t mix.

What to do if your dog eats chocolate?

Urgent treatment may be needed if your dog has eaten chocolate so please contact your vet as soon as possible for advice or, out of hours, your nearest Vets Now pet emergency clinic or Vets Now 24/7 hospital by entering your address or postcode below.

It will assist your vet if you can tell them how much chocolate your dog ate, what type of it was — wrappers can be very helpful — and when your dog ate it. This will enable them to work out whether your dog has eaten a toxic dose and what treatment they’re likely to need.

It will also help if you can provide an estimate of how heavy your dog is 

 

Read More at Vets-now

 

 

Cats Are No Match for New York City’s Rats

Close Menu
×
×

Cart