A prospective randomized study of efficacy of 2 treatment protocols in preventing recurrence of clinical signs in 51 male cats with obstructive idiopathic cystitis

 

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Urethral obstruction (UO) is a common complication of feline idiopathic cystitis (FIC). Robust treatment recommendations to prevent its recurrence are scarce.
OBJECTIVES:
To evaluate meloxicam treatment for prevention of clinical recrudescence in male cats with obstructive FIC.
ANIMALS:
Fifty-one client-owned cats.
METHODS:
Prospective, randomized clinical trial. Every male cat with FIC-associated UO was deemed eligible for the study and was recruited during hospitalization. After discharge, cats were treated with phenoxybenzamine and alprazolam for 2 weeks, with (24 cats) or without (27 cats) low-dose meloxicam (0.025 mg/kg/day PO) and monitored for 6 months.
RESULTS:
Cumulative number (%) of cats with recurrent UO at 10 days, 1-, 2-, and 6-months after discharge was 1 (2%), 2 (4%), 4 (8%), and 8 (16%), respectively. Overall, 12 (24%) cats experienced signs of recurrent FIC within 6 months, with (8 cats) or without (4 cats) concurrent UO. No difference in the cumulative incidence of UO within 6 months was detected with addition of meloxicam (odds ratio [95% confidence interval], 0.63 [0.13-2.97]; P = .70). All cats were alive at 6 months.
CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL IMPORTANCE:
No clinical benefit was detected with the addition of low-dose meloxicam to phenoxybenzamine and alprazolam treatment for 2 weeks after discharge. Nevertheless, this study was underpowered to identify potential differences, and its findings must be corroborated in larger studies.

Cats Are No Match for New York City’s Rats

Close Menu
×
×

Cart