Conkers can be highly poisonous to dogs if chewed an eaten, warns pet charity.

As the season changed to autumn, the Blue Cross are warning pet owners of the dangers of conkers.

Although cases are rare, Blue Cross, who have a rehoming centre in West End, Southampton, has treated dogs who have fallen very ill after eating conkers.

In one recent case, children had been innocently throwing conkers for a dog to catch, unaware of the dangers.

Conkers can cause two problems in dogs with the first being that the large nuts could cause a blockage in your pet’s stomach.

Secondly, they contain a chemical called aesculin – found in all parts of the horse chestnut tree, including the leaves – which is toxic to dogs.

Source

Close Menu
×
×

Cart